The Australian Defence Force Academy has been hit by another scandal, after police charged a male cadet with secretly filming a female colleague in the shower.
Police said 21-year-old Obaid Fayyaz - who Defence said was an international officer cadet studying at the academy - had been arrested after last night's incident.
"Police will allege that a 21-year-old female cadet found a mobile phone hidden in a vent above a shower at her accommodation block at ADFA. The phone was recording video while the woman was showering,'' police said.
"ADFA staff located the owner of the phone and contacted ACT Policing.''
Police said they went to the academy about 11.50pm and seized the mobile phone, a laptop and a USB memory stick from Mr Fayyaz's room.
Wearing jeans and a black duffle coat, the foreign national appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court about 11.30am and was charged with committing an act of indecency in the presence of a person without consent.
Police did not oppose bail after Mr Fayyaz agreed to strict conditions, including that he surrender his passport, not approach a port of international departure or approach or in any other way contact, assault, threaten or intimidate the victim, whose name was suppressed by the court.
His lawyer, John Harris, SC, told the court that Mr Fayyaz had already surrendered his passport to police and it would be handed to the courts.
Defence issued a statement this morning saying the man charged was an international officer cadet studying at the academy.
It said an allegation was reported last night and referred to the Australian Defence Force Investigative Service, which subsequently referred the matter to ACT Policing.
"Defence is providing full support to the individuals involved,'' it said in the statement.
"Defence, including ADFA, takes allegations of unacceptable behaviour very seriously and will co-operate with the relevant authorities. As the incident is before the ACT Magistrates Court, it would be inappropriate to comment further on the matter at this time."
Mr Fayyaz sat quietly through the brief hearing and did not speak.
The matter will be next heard on September 19.
The Canberra Times and Dylan Welch