Two men who died in hospital overnight after being shot several times while sitting in a parked ute in Sydney's west are believed to be the victims of a targeted attack.
A search is now underway for the gunman after the attack about 9pm yesterday.
Police received reports of gunshots from residents of South Wentworthville about 9.10pm on Thursday, finding the pair inside a white four-door Toyota Hilux on Boronia Street.
A tow truck removes the crashed ute from the scene of a double shooting in Sydney's west. Photo: Peter Rae
Officers say the two men - Roy Yaghi, aged 33, and Jamie Grover, aged 27 - were inside the ute when an unknown man approached the vehicle and opened fire.
The driver attempted to drive away but crashed into another vehicle in the front yard of a nearby property before losing consciousness.
It's believed both men - one aged in his early 30s and the other in his 20s - were shot several times. Police sources have told the Herald at least one of the men is known to police for drug offenses.
The crashed bonnet of the Hilux, in which the two victims were sitting when they were shot. Photo: Peter Rae
They were taken to Westmead Hospital in a critical condition but couldn't survive their injuries.
There were emotional scenes at Westmead Hospital, where riot police were called as family and supporters of the two men clashed after the shooting.
NSW Police Homicide and Gangs squad officers are working with Holroyd local area command officers, along with a police helicopter and the dog squad, in the hunt for the single gunman.
Boronia Street is taped off at the scene of the shooting this morning. Photo: Stephanie Gardiner
Neighbours left "horrified"
A neighbour, who asked to be known only as Monique, said she had to wait an hour to get into her street last night when it was barricaded by police.
"I've grown up in the area," she said. "It's scary, definitely. It's scary but you hear about it everywhere.
The shooting took place on Boronia Street in South Wentworthville. View Larger Map
"This is pretty close for comfort, just a couple of houses up. I just heard this morning the two people died. It's horrific."
Another resident, Kylie Cook, said there had been a big police raid on one house earlier this year involving the drug squad and Middle Eastern Crime Squad.
"You should have seen all the evidence bags, it was huge," she said.
Ms Cook said lots of cars would come and go from the same house. It had been quiet in the street since the raid, she said.
"There's only been police on the street a few times. I'm still not worried. It's still a good street. Just because there's one bad element doesn't mean it's a bad street."
Ms Cook's young daughter Ashlei-Rose said she heard the shooting and was terrified.
"I just stayed in my room," she said.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers, 1800 333 000.
- with Lisa Davies