Police motorcyclists enforcing pedestrian safety

Police stopped pedestrians and breath-tested motorists in Parramatta's CBD as part of a road safety operation.

Operation Charlie, which started in Parramatta at 4pm, Saturday, resulted in motorists receiving 158 infringements for speeding, using mobile phones while driving, failing to wear seatbelts, not stopping at traffic lights, parking illegally and driving while their licences were suspended.

Police conducted 87 breath tests and directed 22 motorists to move vehicles from unsafe areas.

Thirteen pedestrians were also issued infringement notices for not crossing in designated areas or crossing streets unsafely.

Commander of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith, said the Motorcycle Response Team’s sole focus was road safety.

“Motorists and pedestrians doing the wrong thing is what leads to crashes that cause injuries and fatalities on our roads,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Smith said.

“Road users in the Sydney and Parramatta CBDs can expect to see a continuing presence from the Motorcycle Response Team given the high traffic and pedestrian flow in these areas during peak periods.

“With 29 pedestrian fatalities so far this year – 11 more than the same time in 2013 – this is about making sure all road users, particularly in the Sydney and Parramatta areas, are fully aware of their surroundings.

“Motorists and pedestrians alike need to be taking greater care on our roads and look out for each other at all times.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop