THE area now known as Granville began 158 years ago to slowly become an urban area when it became the final stop on the state's first railway line.
The Burramattagal indigenous people occupied the area and the junction of the Parramatta and Duck rivers was a meeting place for Darug people from the west and the Cadigal clans from the east.
With the train line in 1855 came development: timber was harvested to fuel the steam engines, speculators and local industries moved in, a Tweed Mill was established and a major estate was subdivided for homes and small farms.
It was in 1880 that the area, which had been known as "Parramatta Junction", took the name of the British Colonial Secretary - Granville Leveson-Gower, 2nd Earl of Granville.
Five years later, the Granville Municipality was formed and more than 60 years later it became part of an enlarged City of Parramatta in 1948.
The Duck River flooded on Anzac Day in 1974 and Granville was severed and suffered major damage.
On January 18, 1977, a commuter train derailed and caused the Bold Street overpass to collapse in what is known as the Granville rail disaster. Eighty-three people died and more than 210 were injured.
It was the worst rail disaster in Australian history.
Nowadays, Granville, the greater Sydney suburb, is home to about 14,000 people and has been the target of an urban renewal and regeneration plan co-ordinated by the Parramatta Council and the NSW Government.
Notable past residents of the area include: Olympic gold medallist John Devin, saxophonist Bernie McGann, actor Paul Hogan and pop singer Judy Stone.