MUTUAL respect and focusing on the positive feelings you have towards your partner is the secret to a successful relationship, say John and Jane Gallo.
After 32 years of marriage the couple has a pretty good idea on what makes for a happy union.
In the lead-up to Valentine's Day Mr Gallo, who is a counsellor for Relationships Australia, said it was important to acknowledge and celebrate the good things about your partner, not just on February 14, but every day.
"My wife is a very giving person," Mr Gallo said.
"I feel cared for and valued by her [and] it's important to both of us that we can trust each other."
Mrs Gallo said regularly spending time together and keeping up to date on what is happening in her husband's life both practically and emotionally through conversation was an important focus in their relationship.
With the Australian divorce rate hovering around 35 per cent, a seminar will be held in Westmead to learn the secrets of the other 65 per cent of couples who stay together for the long haul.
Mr Gallo, who is co-ordinating the event which is for couples who have been together for 10 years or longer, said it was a way to celebrate your relationship and allow couples to listen and share relationship advice.
Details: The Celebrating Long Term Relationships event is free, February 16, 2pm to 5pm, Shop 5, 149 Hawkesbury Road, Westmead. To book 9806 3299.